Facilitation is a life skill that is applicable in every aspect of your life and you will be able to directly use it in meetings, learning opportunities and your own leadership.
Be a ‘Guide on the Side’ for deep learning versus a ‘Sage on the Stage’. Facilitate learning like a professional. Learn from experts who have been facilitating hundreds of sessions per year for 15 years!
What Will I Learn?
- The Single Most Important Responsibility of a Great Facilitator
- The Single Most Abused Role of a Poor Facilitator
- The Greatest Challenge of all Facilitators
- How to ask the right questions and avoid the poor ones
- How to select, setup, execute and process a successful activity
- Facilitative behaviors of a professional facilitator
- How to overcome resistance, seek clarity and intervene in the right situations.
- How to diffuse negativity in small groups.
What will we do?
- Facilitate and process an activity from start to finish.
- Primarily focus on facilitating learning opportunities to learn skills.
- Learn how to effectively debrief in a group setting.
- Receive feedback from participants and professionals about your facilitation.
- Spend very little time in classroom-style learning. This about experiential learning, so we will experience!
- This will be an active workshop in which you will not only learn from a professional facilitator, not only participate in actual activities, but also RUN the activities and DEBRIEF a real activity.
Key Benefits of Effective Facilitator Training
- Facilitation is a ‘Life’ skill that can be used in many areas of your life.
- Unveil the power of structured, collaborative thinking paired with action for achieving business goals.
- Cultivate the potential of a group by involving participants in building consensus and promoting quick results while creating opportunities for broader-based participation and influence.
- Generate more and better solutions to problems.
- Understand the importance of, and develop commitment to, the preparation necessary to achieve meeting objectives.
- Manage (or better yet, prevent) dysfunctional behavior in the group.
- Practice facilitation techniques with interactive feedback and coaching.
As a result of your participation in this program, you will:
- Become familiar with a simple, practical framework for designing and leading effective meeting, group planning sessions and other facilitated events.
- Understand and be able to use a range of strategies and techniques for developing and maintaining consensus.
- Learn skills to deal with disruptive, difficult meeting behaviors and dominating team members.
- Develop an increased ability to support organizational change.
- Gain an increased sense of confidence and leave energized to take on a greater leadership role within your organization.
Setting the Foundation
- Understand what a facilitated session is and when to use (or not use).
- Identify the benefits and critical success factors related to facilitation.
Facilitate the Process
- Open the session
- Apply session methods and techniques such as icebreakers, information gathering, categorizing, prioritizing, and energizing.
- Maintain focus on the desired outcome.
- Engage participants.
- Record the session results.
- Close the session.
Facilitate Yourself, Self Leadership
- Self-assess performance.
- Maintain neutrality.
- Facilitate or lead when you’re the boss.
- Understand problem solving and decision-making models, when and how to use them.
Facilitate the Event, Leading a Learning Experience
- Define the session objectives, deliverables, participants, and roles and responsibilities.
- Identify room layout, equipment, and supplies requirements.
- Create a session agenda and detailed facilitator’s agenda.
Facilitate the Group, Leading Others
- Understand and apply communication techniques such as active listening, inclusiveness, playback, physical and verbal interventions, and consensus building.
- Understand and manage group behavior and group dynamics.
We leave the agenda details open for the very same reason we do not facilitate with an agenda, we will leave the learning up to you! While there are certain ‘classroom’ elements that will, and must, occur to give everyone a baseline of knowledge, you will help direct which elements receive the most attention.However, there are a few items that WILL occur during those two days:
- You WILL learn how to run and debrief activities.
- You WILL facilitate and process an activity from start to finish.
- You WILL receive feedback from participants and professionals about your facilitation.
However, we will tell you that you will begin at 8:30 AM and end at 5:30 PM, unless the group changes it onsite. You will have some time to eat, but we are not exactly sure when. There will be breaks, but when the group decides we need one!
What do I Receive?
- Two and a half days of professional experiential facilitation training with our Founder and CEO, James Carter
- One year membership in The DIY Team Center – continually updated information on activities, resources, tools, training and techniques as well as our entire Team Workout Playbook, Leadership Workouts and Launch Plans to get you started!
- Bound copy of Effective Facilitators Handbook
- Attendance at our Effective Facilitator Training as many times as you like!
- Discounts when purchasing our products.
- Eligibility to help facilitate as a Be Legendary Facilitator at our engagements.
- Copy of ‘Roadmap to Success‘, authored by James Carter, Deepak Chopra and Ken Blanchard
- Copy of ‘Discover Your Inner Strength‘, authored by James Carter, Stephen Covey, Ken Blanchard, Brian Tracy and others.
- A fun environment to learn and test your skills.
- Learn with the activities and tools we use in our own workshops and programs.
The cost for the 2.5-day Effective Facilitator Training is $1,395.00 and $995.00 for early bird registration. Early bird registration ends 45 days before the workshop.
Follow the Register button for dates and locations.